Let’s ‘face’ it… Age diminishes the youthful appearance of skin. Between fine lines and wrinkles, we spend our 30’s onwards looking for ways to increase collagen, help the appearance of fine lines, and basically rewind the clock. I am not a believer in botox, so I am always on the lookout for great products and foods to help my skin look good. Here are my top 4 topical solutions and my top 4 ingestible solutions.
1. The sun is both your friend and your enemy when it comes to health and skin. We need certain amount of Vitamin D in order to help boost mood and also for strong health bones. However, too much just aids the ageing process. But how do we face the sunshine looking our best without make up? OM skincare has developed a brilliant solution. Its an SPF45 primer, that can be used under or as make up, and it’s seriously lightweight so won’t clog up your pores. It contains delicious ingredients for your skin, such as red algae, moringa seed, chamomile essential oil and rosewood oil. http://www.omskincare.co.
2. New British made brand Willowberry has the most natural and nutritionally-rich ingredients of ‘superfoods’ from rosehip, grape seed, jojoba, beeswax and vitamin E, to chia seed, sweet almond and geranium oils. Willowberrys 3-Step Collection is the perfect face saver, giving your face everything it could need for it’s wellbeing. The cleansing balm ensures skin is balanced, nourished and hydrated. The treatment oil can be used alone or mixed with day cream for an extra boost, and the nutrient boost day cream is full of nourishing essential fatty acids, powerful antioxidants and a good dose of vitamins that help to repair and regenerate skin.
3. REN’s Perfect Canvas is a Silicone-free serum leaves your skin with a matte finish and is perfect for applying make up over and before moisturiser. It is formulated with probiotics extract that enhance the speed and quality of epidermal growth that leaves your skin looking immaculate and ‘line’ free before applying foundation. It also contains hyluronans which convert to hyaluronic acid in the skin to increase skin hydration & elasticity and reduce wrinkle depth. Win win for ageing skin!
4. Let’s face it ladies, we love the au- natural look, but we also love to look flawless, so wearing foundation is often the answer. However when we age, foundation has a nasty habit of creeping into our pores, fine lines and wrinkles. Bleugh. No7 has created Lift & Luminate Triple Action Serum Foundation, which combines the best of both worlds: not only does it provide the optimum level of coverage, but it includes effective anti-ageing ingredients. So while giving you a flawless glow, it combats the signs of ageing with it’s super-charged ingredients, helping to improve the appearance of fine lines, firmness and uneven skin tone.
Available at Boots stores and boots.com
Top 4 foods that help your skin glow!
1. Oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfast choices, for more than just the taste. Oats have a natural plant chemical that helps to prevent damage to skin cells and soothes skin irritation. It is also low glycemic, whereas high-glycemic foods are known to cause acne and wrinkles.
2. Another staple in my diet is avocado. Full of monounsaturated fat (the healthy type) which helps your skin stay hydrated, absorb vitamins and nutrients that help your skin stay luminous.
3. You may have heard of ‘Resveratrol’ in skin creams, well it comes from the skin of grapes and it helps to stop inflammation in the skin. It is also thought to slow the ageing process and help to fight the effects of sun damage.
4. Oranges are loaded with water, which means they hydrate your skin and your cells. Of course they are a fabulous source of Vitamin C which helps to make collagen, and we all know that collagen helps to keep our skin supple. Pass the OJ!